Evangelii Gaudium: a syllabus of errors
[a] Paragraph 161: concerning love of neighbour as the greatest commandment
“… the first and the greatest of the commandments…
this is my commandment, that you love one another as i have loved you”
This is incorrect This directly contradicts the bible, the words of Jesus Himself:
Matthew 22: 36-40:
“Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said to him:
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart,
and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment.
and the second is like to this:
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets. “
So what happened to loving God with all your heart, souls and mind?
Why only the reference to “love another” ?
Having the latter and omitting the former is exactly what the one world religion will provide:
• A false religion created by man, for man, all about man:
• humanism, social justice, tolerance, false mercy, false ecumenism,
• all inclusive, harmony, no sin, no divine justice, everyone goes to heaven,
• priority of happiness in this world, all religions to be good,
• worship of creation not the creator,
• salvation is brought about by good works, salvation through natural religion.
[b] Paragraph 247: concerning the status of the first covenant
“We hold the Jewish people in special regard because their covenant with God has never been revoked”
This is a grave error.
Matthew 21: 43 – Jesus’ own words:
“Therefore I tell you,
the kingdom of God will be taken away from you
and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom.”
The views of Popes and Councils:
- Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, 1441, ex cathedra (ie, infallibly spoken)
“The holy roman church firmly believes, professes and teaches that the matter
pertaining to the law of the old testament, the mosaic law,
which are divided into ceremonies, sacred rites, sacrifices, and sacraments…
after Our Lord’s coming… ceased,
and the sacraments of the new testament began… all, therefore, who after that time
(the promulgation of the gospel)
observe circumcision and the sabbath and the other requirements of the law,
the Holy Roman Church declares alien to the Christian faith and not in the least fit to
participate in eternal salvation.”
- Pope Benedict XIV, 1756 , ex quo primum (# 61):
“The first consideration is that the ceremonies of the mosaic law were
abrogated by the coming of Christ and that they can no longer be observed without sin after the promulgation of the Gospel.”
- Pope Pius XII, Mystici Corporis Christi (#’s 29-30), June 29, 1943:
“and first of all, by the death of our Redeemer, the new testament took the place of the old law which had been abolished…
On the gibbet of his death Jesus made void the law with its decrees [Eph. 2:15]…
establishing the new testament in his blood shed for the whole human race. “
- ‘To such an extent, then,’ says St. Leo the Great, speaking of the Cross of Our Lord,
‘was there effected a transfer from the Law to the Gospel, from the synagogue to the church,
from many sacrifices to one victim, that, as our lord expired,
that mystical veil which shut off the innermost part of the temple and its sacred secret
was rent violently from top to bottom.’
On the cross then the old law died, soon to be buried and to be a bearer of death…”
The renting in two, of the veil covering the Holy of Holies in the Temple of Jerusalem
at the point of the death of Christ indicated the end of the old covenant.
(50) and Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.
(51) and behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom;
and the earth shook and the rocks were split.
- Also does the destruction of the temple in 70 AD, and with it the Jewish priesthood,
and all documents stored there of Jewish ancestry and lineage, as required to prove descent from Aaron
(1) Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when his disciples came up
to point out the temple buildings to him.
(2 )And he said to them, “do you not see all these things? Truly i say to you,
not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down.”
St Paul: “The first covenant was about living in total obedience to the law,
the second covenant freed us from the law to live in the grace and faith of the freedom of the resurrection.”
Galatians 3: 24-25
(23 )Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law,
locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed.
(24 )So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.
(25 )now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
Ephesians 2: 11-15
(11) Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)–
(12 )Remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.
(13 )But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
(14) for he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,
(15)by setting aside in His flesh the law with its commands and regulations.
His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace,
(16) and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the Cross,
by which he put to death their hostility.
Peter’s vision: food restrictions of the old law revoked
(9) About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city,
Peter went up on the roof to pray.
(10) He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, He fell into a trance.
(11) He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners.
(12) It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds.
(13) Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
(14) “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “i have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
(15) The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
(16) This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.
If the first covenant still remains, then why
– Can we eat pork and not observer kosher food preparation
– Do we not perform circumcision.
– Do we not keep the feasts of the day of atonement, passover, feast of tabernacles,
feast of unleavened bread, feast of weeks etc.
– Do we have a new priesthood, and not follow the instructions for the priesthood
and the high priest including tithes.
– Do we not perform the required sacrifices and offerings: the sin offering,
burnt offering, whole offering, heave offering, passover sacrifice, meal offering,
wave offering, peace offering, drink offering, thank offering,
dough offering, incense offering, red heifer, scapegoat, first fruits, etc.
– Do we not observe the Sabbath from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset ?
Also, from http://dominiestemp.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/no-247-of-pope-francis-evangelii.html
This doctrine has been also repeatedly taught by the Popes through the ages, to wit,
that the Old Covenant, i.e., The Covenant of Moses, has been revoked and replaced by
the New Covenant.
No 247 directly explicitly and uneqivocally denies this defined article of Catholic Faith,
and therefore is undoubtedly a serious error.
[c] Paragraphs 252-253: concerning Islam and violence
“Authentic Islam and the proper reading of the Koran are opposed to every form of violence.”
This is incorrect
* from http://gatesofvienna.net/2013/12/open-letter-to-his-holiness-pope-francis/#more-31973
Reality does not confirm this statement.
The Koran is full of bellicose and hate-mongering verses against non-Muslims.
Your holiness will be able to find them if he reads the Koran, but I will name just a few:
2:191-193: “and slay them wherever you come upon them, […] fight them,
till there is no persecution and the religion is Allah’s.”
4:89: “If they turn their backs, take them, and slay them wherever you find them;
take not to yourselves any one of them as friend or helper.”
5:33: “This is the recompense of those who fight against Allah and his messenger,
[…]: they shall be slaughtered, or crucified,
or their hands and feet shall alternately be struck off;
or they shall be banished from the land.”
8:60: “Make ready for them whatever force and strings of horses you can,
to terrify thereby the enemy of Allah and your enemy.”
9:5: “When the sacred months are drawn away, slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them, and confine them, and lie in wait for them at every place of ambush.”
9:29: “Fight those who believe not in Allah.”
9:30: “The Christians call Christ the son of God. That is a saying from their mouth;
they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah’s curse be on them.”
9:123: “O believers, fight the unbelievers who are near to you;
and let them find in you a harshness;
and know that Allah is with the godfearing.”
47:4: “When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks.”
Also note that:
1) Islam denies that Jesus Christ is the Messiah and denies that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
The Koran says he is just a prophet.
Note Jesus’ words in Luke 10:16
16 “Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”
2) Islam has no concept or relationship of God as the father of mankind, nor a concept or recognition of the Trinity, nor a concept of the Holy Spirit.
3) Islam says that Abraham was about to sacrifice Ishmael on Mt Moriah,
not Isaac, as the Torah says.
4) The archangel Gabriel (jibra’il) dictated the Quran to Mohammed,
including that Jesus is not the Christ.
Note St Paul’s warning on this, 600 years beforehand:
Galatians 1: No other gospel
“(8) But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!
(9)As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a Gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!”
(5) The two witnesses of the Apocalypse, Enoch and Elijah, are the Christians and the Jews
(ie, the remnant of those who believe in the one true God) [There are two witnesses, not three].
6) Fr Gobbi’s locution #407 from Mary, June 1989
In this period of history [the 7th century], the antichrist is manifested through
the phenomenon of Islam, which directly denies the mystery of the divine Trinity
and the Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Also note that saints’ comments on Islam:
• St. Peter Mavimenus (d. 8th century), martyr from Gaza.
Response reported in the Martyriologum Romanum when he was asked to convert to Islam by a group of Muslims.
“Whoever does not embrace the Catholic Christian faith is lost, like your false prophet Muhammad.”
• St. John Damascene (d. 749), Syrian Arab Catholic monk and scholar.
Quoted from his book On Heresies under the section On the Heresy of the Ishmaelites
(in The Fathers of the Church. Vol. 37. Translated by the Catholic University of America. CUA Press. 1958. Pages 153-160.)
“There is also the superstition of the Ishmaelites which to this day prevails and keeps people in error, being a forerunner of the Antichrist….
From that time to the present a false prophet named Mohammed has appeared in their midst.
This man, after having chanced upon the Old and New Testaments and likewise, it seems, having conversed with an Arian monk, devised his own heresy.
Then, having insinuated himself into the good graces of the people by a show of seeming piety, he gave out that a certain book had been sent down to him from heaven.
He had set down some ridiculous compositions in this book of his and he gave it to them as an object of veneration.”
• Sts. Habenitus, Jeremiah, Peter, Sabinian, Walabonsus, and Wistremundus (d. 851), Martyrs of Cordoba, Spain.
Reported in the Memoriale Sanctorum in response to Spanish Umayyad Caliph ‘Abd Ar-Rahman II’s ministers that they convert to Islam on pain of death.
“We profess Christ to be truly God and your prophet to be a precursor of the Antichrist and other profane doctrine.”
• Sts. Aurelius, Felix, George, Liliosa, and Natalia (d. 852), martyrs of Cordoba, Spain.
Reported in the Memoriale Sanctorum in response to Spanish Umayyad Caliph ‘Abd Ar-Rahman II’s ministers that they convert to Islam on pain of death.
“Any cult which denies the divinity of Christ, does not profess the existence of the Holy Trinity, refutes baptism, defames Christians, and derogates the priesthood, we consider to be damned.”
• St. Thomas Aquinas (d. 1274), Theologian and Doctor of the Church.
Quoted from his De Rationibus Fidei Contra Saracenos, Graecos, et Armenos and translated from Fr. Damian Fehlner’s Aquinas on Reasons for the Faith: Against the Muslims, Greeks, and Armenians (Franciscans of the Immaculate. 2002.).
“On the other hand, those who founded sects committed to erroneous doctrines proceeded in a way that is opposite to this, the point is clear in the case of Muhammad.
He seduced the people by promises of carnal pleasure to which the concupiscence of the flesh goads us.
His teaching also contained precepts that were in conformity with his promises, and he gave free rein to carnal pleasure.
In all this, as is not unexpected, he was obeyed by carnal men.
As for proofs of the truth of his doctrine, he brought forward only such as could be grasped by the natural ability of anyone with a very modest wisdom.
Indeed, the truths that he taught he mingled with many fables and with doctrines of the greatest falsity.
He did not bring forth any signs produced in a supernatural way, which alone fittingly gives witness
to divine inspiration; for a visible action that can be only divine reveals an invisibly inspired teacher of truth.
On the contrary, Muhammad said that he was sent in the power of his arms—which are signs not lacking even to robbers and tyrants.”
• St. Juan de Ribera (d.1611),
Archbishop of Valencia, missionary to Spanish Muslims, and organizer of the Muslim expulsions of 1609 from Spain.
Quoted in several locations from his 1599 Catechismo para la Instruccion de los Nuevos Convertidos de los Moros.
“As we have seen, Muhammed had neither supernatural miracles nor natural motives of reason to persuade those of his sect.
As he lacked in everything, he took to bestial and barbaric means, which is the force of arms.
Thus he introduced and promulgated his message with robberies, murders, and bloodshedding,
destroying those who did not want to receive it, and with the same means his ministers conserve this today,
until God placates his anger and destroys this pestilence from the earth.
[…] (Muhammad) can also be figured for the dragon in the same Apocalypse which says that the dragon swept up a third of the stars and hurled down a third to earth.
Although this line is more appropriately understood concerning the Antichrist, Mohammed was his precursor – the prophet of Satan, father of the sons of haughtiness.
[…] Even if all the things contained in his law were fables in philosophy and errors in theology,
even for those who do not possess the light of reason,
the very manners (Islam) teaches are from a school of vicious bestialities.
(Muhammad) did not prove his new sect with any motive, having neither supernatural miracles nor natural reasons,
but solely the force of arms, violence, fictions, lies, and carnal license.
It remains an impious, blasphemous, vicious cult, an innovation of the devil,
and the direct way into the fires of hell.
It does not even merit the name of being called a religion.”
• St. Alfonsus Liguori (d. 1787).
Quoted from his book, The History of Heresies and their Refutation.
“The Mahometan paradise, however, is only fit for beasts; for filthy sensual pleasure is all the believer has to expect there.”
Contributed and compiled by a fellow crusader..