I thought that the following may be a good resource to share with those who need some encouragement to go to Mass, or to go more often. Never underestimate the power of prayer of which the Holy Mass is the greatest. St Alphonsus’ writings taught me ‘don’t just go to Mass, pray Holy Mass!’
- Through Holy Mass you are preserved from many dangers and misfortunes which would otherwise have befallen you.
- Through Holy Mass you are blessed in your temporal goods and affairs
- You shorten your purgatory by every Mass.
- By piously hearing Holy Mass, you give the greatest possible relief to the souls in purgatory
- Every Mass will go with you to Judgement and plead pardon for you
- Every Mass can diminish the temporal punishment due to your sins; more or less according to your fervour
- Through the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, Jesus Christ supplies for many of your negligences and omissions
- The Lord Jesus also forgives all the venial sins which you are determined to avoid
- He also forgives your unknown sins which you never confess
- One Holy Mass heard during your life will be of more benefit to you than many said after your death
- During Holy Mass you kneel amidst a multitude of holy angels who are present at the adorable sacrifice with reverential awe
- When you hear Holy Mass devoutly, offering it to Almighty God in honour of any particular angel or Saint, you afford that Saint a new degree of honour, joy and happiness and draw his special love and protection on yourself.
*These excerpts were taken from “The Hidden Treasure; the Holy Mass” by St. Leonard as published on a pamphlet by Mary’s Rosary Chain Inc.